Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Brian G

Default Philips Flat Screen TV problems (UK)

As TV diagnostics/repairs are a complete mystery to me, I wonder if anyone
here could throw some light on the following problem please?

Here in the UK, I have a Phillips 28" Flat Screen TV that's about four years
old and has suddenly 'lost' its picture once a week for the last four weeks.
When this happens, there is no way that I can get the TV to switch into
'normal' viewing mode.

The symptoms a

1 - Whilst the TV is on, it will suddenly emit a loud cracking noise and the
screen will go blank.

2 - After the picture has gone, the TV Power On light stays lit as if the
picture was operating normally.

3 - The buttons on the remote control handset will not work the TV -
(batteries are ok).

4 - The picture cannot be turned on using the manual controls built into the
top of the set.

5 - Switching the power off and leaving it off for up to an hour and then
turning it back on will not get the TV to work normally - Power On light
stays as described above.

6 -The TV will work normally the following morning if left switched off
overnight and then turned on.

Many thanks

Brian G