Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default OT DIY Cleaning a BTE hearing aid

me wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Malcolm Stewart wrote:
Just thought I'd post this as I've not found any similar information
by Googling "Groups". (Lots of "it's not ethical to meddle" stuff,
of course...)

I've had an NHS behind-the-ear hearing aid for the last few years.
It's an analog type (using a 13ZA cell with an on-T-off switch and
rotary gain control marked from 1 to 4) and this morning it was
dead, despite it having had a new cell fitted a few days ago. It
was still dead after I tried a new cell in it, so do I take it in
to my local hospital today for repair and be without it over the
holiday weekend, or do I see if there's anything obviously wrong
with it? Yesterday I had noticed that it wasn't as good as it used
to be, or was that my hearing continuing to get worse...

The tube to the earpiece was clear, but when I examined the
microphone area through a magnifier I was horrified at all the crud
which had accumulated, and after removing a fair amount
mechanically, I finished off blasting the hole with IPA from an
aerosol using the fine tube applicator. The visual difference was
impressive, but the hearing aid was still dead. So I dried the HA
on top of my hot water tank for 15 minutes, and it's now as good as
new. I can even turn the gain control down a notch. My guess is
that the crud had built up and stopped the microphone diaphragm
from vibrating.

I've no experience with any other HA type, and I'm not taking any
responsibility if your ruin yours; but in my case I've saved two
hospital car park fees, some petrol and I've got my hearing back 3-4
days earlier than otherwise.

If its an NHS aid then they will swop it there and then when you
take it in.
These analogue aids a well known having problems and just going dead.

Incidently you can now apply for a digital aid now because the RNID
has stipulated to the NHS and the gov that its time to coume up to
date with the HA as most communications nowadays are digital ie
mobile phones ect.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

My dad's been waiting for over 12 months for his first ever hearing
aid from the NHS - he's rarely been ill, never been in hospital, and
worked from the day he left National Service unt he was 69. The first
time he ever wanted something back he's made to feel guilty and told
'everyone wants a digital aid these days and we can't cope'. Oh well,
thats me climbing down from my soapbox now.

If he goes to a local institute for the deaf, they will help him
considerably by pushing this further up the ladder,so to speak.
The hospitals sometimes tell porkies.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite