Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James T. White

Default Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

wrote in message
oups.com
Hello,

Does anybody know of a good source of gears for Fellowes paper
shredders. I called
Fellowes Customer Support this morning. They do not sell parts for
this particular
shredder. I hate to toss it out. The shredder has a 1/8 HP AC motor in
it.

The 2" (rough diameter) nylon gear has a couple of teeth broken off
it. I doubt one could use something to "fill in" the missing gears
like JB weld as the mechanical motion might break off the replacement
teeth. Or maybe this would work? Thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party Fellowes gear manufacturer that would
sell a gear compatible with the P400C? I don't have a count of the
number of teeth/pitch of the gear, but I could check.

Mike,

That seems to be a pretty common failure mode for Fellowes shredders,
particularly the cross-cut ones. I had two fail before I finally broke
down and bought a GBC cross-cut shredder. A good bit more expensive
but it is built with metal gears and doesn't have the duty cycle
constraints that the Fellowes ones have.

Good luck finding replacement gears.

--
James T. White