Grant Erwin

Default Sanford Surface Grinder

I suggest you look it over carefully, maybe clean the machine, level
it, and figure out how to lube it. Then figure out how to change wheels.
A word of caution: many little grinders have a left hand thread on the
flange on the wheel adapter. If you're lucky, it will use Sopko adapters
and if you're real lucky, it will have the Sopko wrench. Get in the habit
of trying to tighten things as little as possible. You don't want the
wheel to spin on you but you don't need to crush it.

Wire it up and fire it up. It should sound smooth and even. If it sounds
gritty, you got screwed. Little grinders are only as good as their spindle
bearings. If it seems great, then put on a wheel and start thinking about
how to dress it. Read up on dressing surface grinder wheels. I don't see
any reason not to use the el cheapo grinder dresser fixture from HF. It's
just a hunk of iron. You will definitely want a "dressing stone" too -
this isn't something that goes on your mag chuck, it's a piece of "stone"
that you hold in your hand and manually dress the face of your wheel when
it loads up. If you're grinding hot rolled steel and it starts grinding a
little funny, check your wheel for glazing right away - if you try to grind
with a glazed wheel it just gets hot. Hot means bigger, and bigger wheel
means deeper cut and *maybe* a wheel shattering. Get a dressing stone. Norton
makes one called "norbide" or something like that, and they're dirt cheap.

With the ways lubed and the wheel properly trued and dressed, put a chunk
of steel on the mag chuck. It's smart practice to put other pieces up
against the workpiece - these are called "blocking pieces" and this is
to take advantage of more of the mag chuck's holding power.

It's good to go REAL SLOW when touching down. If you don't know where the
high spot is, and are too lazy to mount a DTI to find out, then put a
piece of paper on where you guess the high spot is. Stick it down with
um, spit. Lower gently until the paper whisks away, then crank the whole
part around. If it starts sparking anywhere, go up a little. Here's a
very important point. You have to get this drilled in:

HALF A THOU IS A HUGE HOGGING CUT ON A LITTLE GRINDER.

Go much deeper, and you will shatter the wheel.

Anyway, that's my take on it. No, I don't have any parts or manual for
it, but these machines are usually simple. Leveling is important because
the ways probably won't lube right unless the machine is level.

Grant

Alan Rothenbush wrote:

I just bought a Sanford Surface Grinder via eBay, even though I've never
even seen one. I just decided I needed (OK, wanted) a surface grinder and
the ONLY place in the shop where one could possibly be located meant a
benchtop unit and that was that.

So, halftime of a boring Monday Night Footbal game, I was trolling eBay and
lo and behold, there it was, with a "Buy It Now" price I couldn't resist.

But now for SHMBO ...

"Honey, have you bought me a Christmas present yet ?"

A somewhat angry reply

"No ! You haven't told me what you want and you don't need anything and I
don't really have time to go shopping and so, no !"

A meek rejoinder

"How about buying me a surface grinder for Christmas ?"

And the next angry reply

"If you want a surface grinder, buy it yourself !"

CLICK went the ENTER key, and now somewhere between Florida and Washington
State is 250 pounds of grinder.

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me
Merry Christmas dear Alan
Merry Christmas to me !

Next step was to scour the 'net looking for info on Sanford, with a
staggering lack of success.

I went to DejaNews and looked up and read all the posts from this group, but
didn't find all that I was looking for.

SO, in the hope that there's someone out there with hitherto unpublished or
unannounced information, can anyone point me to online verions of

an owner's manual
a part manual
a list of tips and "look out for"s

Thanks in advance.