Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine - how to remove hardened soap powder?

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:32:21 UTC, wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

rub it off with a wet cloth? Run the drawer under the tap?

Ha! If it was that easy, I wouldn't have asked! This stuff seems near
insoluble. We're in a hard water area but this is localised to the soap
tray.

I'm relieved to hear it, was worried

As a descaler, citric acid is fairly pathetic. Boiling temp and long
long immersion times are nedeed to get anywhere. HCL OTOH is instant,
and can be bought dilute as some brands of limescale removing toilet
cleaner, or not as dilute as brick cleaner. Obivously HCl eats things,
so beware of metal, cotton, eye contact etc.

NT