Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Chester

Default slice of tree - how do I make it into a table with regards to drying or whatever

I agree with Tom.
It would probably be best to finish both sides of the "tabletop" the same.
If you finish just the top, it will absorb water unevenly and warp out of
shape sooner... You might want to treat the stump with something
(bleach?) to slow down the fungus growth after you clean it up.

"Chip"

"scott Doyland" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Firstly let me say I know nothing about woodwork so will value any
advice you can give me, which may well be to learn something about
woodwork ;-)

In my garden I have a tree stump from a connifer tree that was cutdown
before I moved in, so at least over 2 years ago. Its started to grow
white hard/spongy fungus out of it.

Ive now been given a tree slice about 8 inches thick (dont know what
tree it came from). The person who gave it to me said it had been
laying outside for one year in the rain and sun. It seems to look OK,
some bark is coming off and its not sawn very smooth.

I want to cut the stump so its level, thereby removing the fungus as
well, and then put the tree slice on top like a table. and screw it on.

What do I need to do - I had a quick look in the newsgroup and it said
about drying slices out for years which to be honest I dont want to do.
Id like a 'nice' table for the summer.

1. But do I need to dry it out and if so how and for how long
2. Do I need to put some preservative or wax or something on the slice
and on top of the stump - what do I need to put on it?
3. I want to sand it down to make it a bit smoother, should I let it
dry first or sand it first.
4. should I put anything on the bark of the stump - its coming off a
bit.
5. Should I remove the bark from the slice or leave it on - can I put
prevervative over the bark

As you can see I havent got a clue. What Id like is just to sand it,
stick preservative on it and screw it on the stump. Im not after a
work of art as Id like it to have some 'character' and if it looks
rubbish after a few years I'll probably just remove it.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Regards,
Scott