Ljwebb11

Default "homemade" tool steel

George Watson wrote:

I have notice when buying tool steel the smaller the quanity you buy the
more expensive it gets

If you are ordering from the tool supply houses, the price is extremely high.
You can get a better price directly from the tool steel houses, but you need
quantity.
I bought 500lbs of A-2 last week for about 75 cents a pound.
Some of the tool steel houses will sell remnants cheap.
I try to keep at least a 1000lbs of tool steel on hand at all times. I have an
aversion to paying full price and am always on the lookout for deals.
Tough to find a deal on a small quantity.

I remember buying a length of S-7 hollow bar that had a shipping sticker from
from McMaster-Carr on it. From Mc-M it would have cost $140. I paid $20 for it.
You just gotta get out there and dig for the deals.

Les