Harold & Susan Vordos

Default What are the size limitations of mini mills?

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
nk.net...
snip----
I'd like to make pieces for automotive and motorcycle projects (brackets,
pillow blocks, component mounts,etc..) mostly out of aluminum but some out
of steel. Most of these pieces would FIT on a mini mill table but I'm
getting the feeling that the mill might be out matched. Are there any
general rules of thumb that suggest the maximum size (% of table, % of

X,Y,X
travel, HP x phase of the moon?) or capabilities of a mill?

Thanks,

Peter

My personal opinion is to stay away from miniature machines for projects the
likes of yours. I'd also avoid, like the plague, mill drills, unless you
budget simply can't stand the cost of something better. It's RARE to find
someone that is satisfied with a mill drill if they're using it as a milling
machine, not a drill press.

There are small knee type mills available, which would be a far better
choice, based on your suggested usage. Gorton, for one, made some that
are small enough that you sit to run them, and Gorton is an outstanding
builder of drop spindle type mills. I'd recommend one of their machines
highly. There are others, too, of varying sizes, so I'd suggest you keep
your eyes open for a "deal"and buy something that is much better suited to
your needs. If space allows, though, I think a Bridgeport or Bridgeport
clone might be a fine choice due to the flexibility of the machine. For
the most part, no other type vertical mill offers all the features that they
do in one machine.
That's why Bridgeport was such a grand success, along with the cost, which
used to be very reasonable.

A friend of mind has a mini-mill, CNC controlled. He's very happy with it,
but he's machining wax to make patterns for investment casting. The
rigidity of his machine would fall short, VERY short, of enough for
satisfactory machining of most any metal. In machines tools, rigidity is
everything. That's why they weigh so much.

Harold