Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

Default Working safely on a hipped roof

In article .com
, writes
Hi

Is there a standard way of working safely on the ridge where a roof hip
joins the main section using 'normal' equipment?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Put a standard roof ladder over each side of the main roof (ie, two
ladders), and bring a rope between them across the hip.

Definitely not safe, unless I'm missing something there is nothing to stop
the whole lot being pulled off the hip side. I have worked happily on a roof
using rope but it really depends on what you're doing, short duration
maintenance or longer periods of working and with what.

2) Put a tower against the flank wall (where the hip runs to), secure
it to the building with eye bolts, then lay a ladder over the roof that
is secured to the tower at its base.

Definitely the safer option, in fact if the height is not too great and a tower
can be hired cheaply then I'd stop the search there.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla