Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan

Default electric motor forward/reverse wiring?

The challenge is to identify what the motor terminals are actually
connected to inside the motor.
Apart from start and run windings, there's other stuff like capacitors
and overload switches to confuse us.
Unfortunately the terminals aren't always using the same code
letters/numbers to describe them, but they can be a help.
One system I came across uses codes beginning with U, V and Z, while
another uses codes beginning with P and T.
Here's how I successfully wired up a Taiwanese single-phase 240V motor
for switchable forward/reverse operation, using toggle switches instead
of a drum switch:
http://tinyurl.com/moep7