Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Intermittent Fuse Blow When Philips TV is Plugged Into AC

Brad wrote:
Hi,

Philips TV model 27PT5441/37 ch L04.1UAA mfg 08/04

In my shop, this TV will blow the main fuse intermittently when the TV is
plugged in (when the AC cord is plugged into an outlet) . NOTE: I don't
have a SM. Most times, when the TV is plugged in, the fuse doesn't blow, and
the TV can be turned on and everything is "fine". Note: I had replaced the
fuse with a 4A slow blow type. I checked the degaussing coil thermistor cold
resistance which measures 6.6 ohms.

Was this a common problem with this model TV? Was there a
"fix" or modification to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance, Brad

is the fuse open or blackened?
Getting a useful answer to your problem depends on this information!.

anyway, try desoldering and removing the degauss posistor and
disconnect/ reconnect the set a few times to test.So far, that is what
I'd put my money on as the culprit.
there is clearly some problem very near the mains inlet point, so
suspect anything connected across the line - AC filters, degauss coil,
possibly rectifier diodes and capacitors across them, etc.
-b.