Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Default electric motor forward/reverse wiring?

Here is the best explanation I have found:
http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/ElectricMotors.pdf

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"William Wixon" wrote in message
hey,
i've been trying to figure this one out on my own but can't. i do believe
need help. i got a reversible motor from harbor freight, mounted it to
the
seneca falls star lathe i've been posting about. would like to be able to
run it forward and reverse. have the drum switch from the previous owner.
not sure if i can use it. i made a copy of the wiring diagram in the
motor's manual. the wires illustrated are inside the motor case, have to
reposition them onto the pins inside the motor to get the motor to run CCW
or CW. i'm wondering if i can extend the wires out to the drum switch and
somehow get them to be transposed, black/red - red/black to get the CCW/CW
rotation. i was figuring i'd wire it up to 220 but i guess if it's not
possible to wire it up so it's reversible with 220 i'd wire it 110
instead.

can anyone help/tell me how to do it?

posted illustrations of the 110, 220 wiring and the diagram inside the
drum switch...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/220-240.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/110-120.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/barrelswitch.jpg