Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

Default Grounding TV antenna tower

dnoyeB wrote:
wrote:

What is the proper and best way of grounding a tv antenna at the top of
a 40' tower? I have a cottage on lake huron, and the tower is going to
be the highest metal point for quite a few hundred feet. I am
concerned about damage when lightning hits the tower or antenna. Also-
Should a grounding jumper be run around the rotator to ground the
antenna and mast? Thanks

grounding the tower will just make it more attractive to lightning.
However, it will protect you since the lightning will enter the ground
and not the house.

You probably need a lightning rod or something to attract or disipate
the lightning, which will also be grounded.

should have the antenna part lower than the highest point of the
grounded tower with lightning rod on top of tower and sufficient ground
cable to sink the current into the ground (there is a formula, can not
remember)

The antenna is shielded due to an umbrella effect of the higher point of
the lightning rod.