Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I try to install tile in my master bathroom?

Cindy,

I believe a demolition hammer (power tool such as:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013)
would do the job nicely.

I used a hammer and chisel on my floor which was tile in a 3 inch
mortar bed. Slow and tedious. Also pop the nails heads on the ceiling
below. I removed both the tile and mortor.

If the floor is in good shape and level, I would seriously consider
tiling over it. If you remove the current floor, there is no guarantee
that the sub-floor is level (mine wasn't). You wil also need to lay
down CBU and possible plywood to gain stiffness and height assuming the
tile was set in a mortor bed. In my second bathroom. I tiled over it
and raise my door saddle 1/2". Turn out nice and level without the work
and resulting tile to dispose of. Just use a high quality thinest.

Also go to www.johnbridge.com which has a great forum for tile work.