Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default pantograph plans or hints?

I saw a pantograph in CNC mode - Human holding both pointer in trace and the
plasma torch out further. I think it was for the 'movie'.

The table was 8 x 20 from what it looked - nice web design and this big pantograph
that scaled up the small model into metal.

In what I have used in the past - for drawing - was two V's that had axis bolts in the vertex.
Running along each arm are equally spaced holes. Both V's have same spacing on the same V but
ours was on both V's. Then once made, pins have to be made - sliding fit for these holes.
The V's are then mated creating a dual W of sorts - a V point up an one down. The ratio between
the one pair to the other pair determines the scale.

Not bad to make - and can be custom fit to any table.

Maritn

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:34:25 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:27:44 -0500, Rex B
wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Really... Anyone got one in the Wisconsin-ish area? I suppose these
are considered somewhat obsolete since the production shops will be
using CNC for complex shapes? It'll fit right in to my basement shop,
though; nothing newer than (hmmm) 1960's technology, I think.

Dave "not complaining, mind you" Hinz