clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default brass brazing with a large propane torch

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:35:11 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Technically, brazing brass is welding, since the parent metal and the filler
rod are the same. If you ever do get it up to temperature, you will be
creating a seam of brass on brass, fuzed, not wetted.

How about using Mapp gas. I have never used it, but I know it produces a
much higher flame temperature than propane. The next step after that is
Prestolite, which is air/acetylene--should be hot enough to melt brass.

But, I agree with the others. If you can get your hands on oxy/acetylene,
your troubles will be over.

Have you considered silver solder? It makes very strong joints on brass if
the fit-up is good.

Looking at the "small" propane torches, and even Mapp, the high
turbulence torches make more heat with Propane than a standard torch
does with Mapp . The problem is, it's not the AMOUNT of heat produced
that counts, it's the temperature of the flame.
The high swirl Propane torch may produve 4 times as many BTUs as the
regular Mapp torch, and still be several hundred degrees cooler.
Brazing, and welding, require high temperature in a concentrated area.
High enough to melt the subject metal - whether it be Silver Solder,
Spelter (for brazing) or steel in the case of welding.