JTMcC

Default cut pipes to weld a "T"

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...
I need a "T" made out of two six inch 1/8" wall thickness pipes.

I need a way to mark a chalk line on each pipe so I can cut it with a

torch
and then fit the two together and weld.

I did a layout like this in drafting class thirty years ago. Made each

piece
out of paper. Cut them out and wrapped around the pipe to mark the lines.

don't remember much else about it.

Anyone know how this is done?

Karl

I know how it's done and have to do it regularly as part of the 12 on 12
inverted branch test, which is a common welding test in the pipe field. But,
it's pretty hard to describe, at least for me, your best bet is to buy one
of two small books, "Blue Book of Fitters...Welders Pattern and Layout
Manual" by H.G. Thorsness or "The Pipe Fitters and Pipe Welders Handbook" by
Thomas W. Frankland. Both show the steps to lay out a branch as well as many
other things. Or, you can buy store bought patterns, or, you can try one of
the online sources mentioned tho you seem to not have had any luck there.
Another alternative if you have time on your hands, is to just start
whittling away until it fits.

regards,
JTMcC.