Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small hammers?

mm wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:58:07 -0400, "Not@home" wrote:

I inherited one with a smaller head and thinner handle; it has no name
on it, but was sold as a woman's hammer. I guess it would be
politically incorrect to call it that today.

You could look at Amazon.com to see what they have, but there are some

You'll just end up with women big enough to use a big hammer.

Try Hammer.com instead.

You'll get a DP shop if you do. Instead try
http://www.hammersource.com/ but you won't like the prices.

like hammers and shoes, that I would want to try on before buying.

Ok. Just kidding.

Mike S. wrote:

Are there (claw) hammers that are specially designed for people with
small hands? I've been using my uncles hammers and they are way too big
for me to work with. I can barely wrap my hands around the grip or even
in the middle of the hammer and they feel like they weigh a ton when
I'm trying to hammer nails. I feel like if I had a smaller hammer that
actually fit my hand and weighed 16 oz (or less) instead of 22 oz then
maybe it would make things easier. But I can't seem to find any small
hammers anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores or something.

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

If you were in Europe (not the UK) you could easily find what you're
looking for. Stanley even make a series of hammers for the French
market ranging in size from about 5oz up to beyond 16oz but for some
stupid reason you can't buy them here. There are other mfgs too. The
big thing is that they all have nylon handles; I don't think I've even
seen a wooden handled hammer in France in the last 10 or 15 years.
Aren't wood handles obsolete? Are we just behind the times?

Oh, yeah, there's one other difference: they don't have a claw. They
have a cross pein. The UK type (with old fashioned wooden handles) are
called Warrington hammers. You can get those here from Lee Valley
IIRC. The cross pein is IMO much easier for starting nails and as for
pulling your mistakes, that's what a cat's paw is for. Oh yeah and for
framing aren't hammers obsolete? Doesn't everyone use a nail gun? Or,
in my case (I do little framing) Strongties and screws?

Before you think I'm confusing engineers' hammers, the sets I have are
marked (in French) "Carpenter" and "Mechanic", the mechanic ones being
shorter in the head and having slightly longer handles. I believe
there are other sets for other occupations. Quite stylish too: all in
black with red highlights.