Posted to alt.home.repair
Debi

Default adding a mildew inhibitor to paint

Does anyone have experience with doing this? I bought a liquid,
Mil-Kil, and wonder if it will do as well as paint with mold inhibitor
already in it by the manufacturer. I can't afford new paint right now,
and have most of a gallon of Kilz on hand. I tried to find a MSDS on
the chemical in it, with no luck. I wonder if it is safe to use in the
kitchen?

When it is dry , I am going to seal the wall with exterior spar
urethane. The outdoor kind expands and contracts a bit with temperature
changes, this is on an uninsulated wall between the kitchen and garage
that gets a bit cold in the winter. That's prob why I got mold there in
the first place...condensation in a high humidity room. It should not
crack, and hopefully will maintain a good seal over the paint with the
mildewicide. The last guy who lived in this house thought he was
"handy", and we have spent a lot of time undoing his handiwork. He
added on the garage.

I cleaned and disinfected really well, following CDC guidelines. One
more scrub with 1:10 bleach with TSP, and a good rinse and I will be
ready to paint. If it ever stops raining and I get some dry days in a
row!

Having fun in Ohio...
Debi