Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

Default Over-range microwave without upper cabinet

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to install an over-the-range microwave, but I will be removing
the upper cabinet completely and just putting a shelf above the
microwave.

The problem I have is that the microwave mounts to a rear plate and
then swings up and is designed to be attached to an upper cabinet with
2 bolts. Anyone have a good way to do this without the upper cabinet?
There is a stud right in the middle behind it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Make a box-section double shelf- 2 layers of ply or 1x or whatever, held
apart by cleats and a back rail, with a piece of wide trim on the front,
including maybe a slight lip so stuff doesn't fall off the shelf into
whatever open pot is sitting on stove. Visually, a thick shelf will probably
look better, and a single layer may be too flimsy to hold the micro without
sagging anyway. Make sure you can get a wrench on the hidden bolt heads-
mount the front trim on blocks that jam-fit between the shelf layers. Needs
to be a tight fit, but one you can pull out when you need to. Build the
bottom 2/3 of the shelf, screw it in place, then add the top layer and the
front trim. How are you going to route the exhaust duct? Straight back
through the wall?

aem sends...