Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Stinky Disposall

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:26:13 -0700, Mark and Gloria Hagwood
wrote:

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the trap beyond the disposal is emptying
out? Too vigorous a flow from the disposal, coupled with no
vent or a plugged vent might explain the smell. The first
thing I'd do is to pull the trip and make sure that nothing
is obstructing the vent.

How would this work? If I take out the whole trap, how will I know if
the vent is good or not?

BTW, it occurs to me, why is there a separate trap for every sink,
tub, shower, and toilet? And usually 2 or more vents per house
because a separate vent is needed for any drain not close to another
drain.

It seems to me all the economizers would want to use one trap and one
vent for the whole house. Does anyone do this, anywhere in the
world?

I can see how this would mean that the drains would have to be cleaner
to keep smells down (since there would be much longer drains between
the sinks and the trap) Is this the only reason they don't do this?
Is that because of toilets, rather than sinks?

If it's OK, then run some ice
cubes through the disposal to get rid of any food that might
be caught on the impeller or sides. Finally, dump in a
little Chlorox while running it. Be sure that the
"flippers" or blades inside the disposal are free to swing.

Mark