Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

Default Stinky Disposall

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the trap beyond the disposal is emptying
out? Too vigorous a flow from the disposal, coupled with no
vent or a plugged vent might explain the smell. The first
thing I'd do is to pull the trip and make sure that nothing
is obstructing the vent. If it's OK, then run some ice
cubes through the disposal to get rid of any food that might
be caught on the impeller or sides. Finally, dump in a
little Chlorox while running it. Be sure that the
"flippers" or blades inside the disposal are free to swing.

Mark