Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default I need to cut a large hole in sheet metal.

All of those will be a disaster when used on thin material and large
diameter. They are normally used in a drill press and the work securely
clamped down. When used with a portable dirll the cutting edges will dig
in and tear the metal or flip the portable drill (and user).

There is a circle cutter used by sheet metal installers that has a
tramel point on one end, and a pilot bushing on the other. To use, mark
the center, install guide, use a spiral cutter bit in an electric drill.
Don't have a link to it.

Peter Jason wrote:
Thanks for all replies, I found the following
after much looking:
http://www.mk-diamond-saws.com/image...tter_small.jpg

and

http://ignitiontools.com/auctionpic/...E-CUTTER-1.jpg

and

http://www.trilug.org/~chilcote/imag...e-cutter-s.jpg

and

http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/CircleHoleCutter.jpg

Regards, Frank

"Ken Grunke"
wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:27:48 +1000, Peter
Jason wrote:

Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

A makeshift trammel bar of wood (1 x 2" for
ex.) with a tool steel cutter
should do fine with that thin
guage--pivoting on a small bolt.

Or a saber saw, with a circle-cutting guide
and a toothless blade, the
kind with carbide grit available at most
hardware stores.

Ken Grunke

Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----