Roy

Default Info on how to make a chipper knife

Being that one of my knives on my chipper broke and I am a cheap son
of a bi%#@ i need to make one. Its approximately 1.25" x 3.75" x .250"
thick, with two 5/16" countersunk holes in it and a bevel of 37 deg
ground on one long edge.

For the time being I used a old but unused heavy duty mower blade
which was as hard as a leaf spring is, and cut it to size and have
been using it, but it does not quite hold up as good as the original
blades did, but its still useable.

The original is supposedly hardened to 58 rc. So what materials would
you recomend making this blade out of.? I don't really have a temp
controlled furnace, but I maya be able to acccess one, unless I can
get by on heating with a torch or in my crucible furnace.

Any info appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.