Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default How to stain red oak to look slightly yellow

Patriarch wrote:

lid (scottsignmart) wrote in news:w_1Yf.12218$cX5.9460
@fe06.news.easynews.com:

I have added cabinets to our kitchen using red oak, the exsiting
cabinets
also made from red oak appear to have been finished
"natural" but have
a slightly yellow look, and there is not much contrast of the grain...
very
good looking finish. My cabinets however look like oak, lots of grain,
lots
of contrast and more on the red, orange side...

Any suggestions would be appriciated...

I read what the other fellows said, and don't necessarily agree.

Red oak turns 'golden' when oiled, or shellaced or varnished. I don't know
the exact chemical or physical reasons, but there is a marked change.

Take some of your scrap, and try out a few of the uncolored finishes on
your shelf on various pieces, and see if you don't get close to what's on
your cabinets.

Then come back and tell us what you found out.

Patriarch

That's the trouble with the written word. Who knows what "slightly
yellow" really means? I've got furniture that I'd say is "slightly
yellow" oak, and to get THAT color, I use the dyes I mentioned. Maybe
all the OP needs is a warm toned finish like you mentioned.

Now the OP can take his pick of suggestions.

dave