Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing

A disk sander is a large rotating disk, usually stationary with a tilt
table. This is great for sanding angles on pieces you can hold.

A random orbital sander is hand-held. It is very popular and requires
purchasing special round papers.

A palm sander is hand-held and most can use regular sandpapers. Not
as good as a detail sander, but it can get into corners. I like this
sander a lot and it is fairly inexpensive.

For small items a detail sander is a good choice.

A belt sander is usually handled with two hands, very aggressive, and
used for larger areas.

In all fairness each sander has strengths and weaknesses. I suggest
you start out with a palm sander.

On 3 Apr 2006 06:53:54 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing?

There are so many types and confused by them. (What's the difference
b/w disk and orbital? Oscillating and vibrating?) Rather than figure
all of this out and graduate from the school of sanding with high
honors, can I cheat and just have one of you tell me what the best kind
of sander for refinishing small furnature is? For the open areas and
for the corners? (I heard random orbit is a candidate.)

Thank you!

Aaron Fude