Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

Default Identifying Scrap Metal in old VCR's

"JANA" wrote in message
If you were to get a few lbs of metal, is it worth all that trouble? You
must have a lot of time on your hands.

No kidding - I've got a 5-gal bucket half-filled with the VCR heads I've
stripped in the last couple of weeks alone. Even at 50 cents /lb, it's still
better than sitting around doing nothing.
So VCR heads ARE cast aluminum?
FYI each stripped head is about 40-60 grams, and each stripped cylinder is
about 40-80g. The brass pieces (mainly in older VCR heads) can weigh up to
80 grams each, so if you don't have much time, these are what you should be
salvaging.
Ever try stripping a VCR head and cylinder? It takes about 10 minutes for
each unit. Start by removing all the screws, then use a hammer & screwdriver
to whack out the shaft. The rotary transformer is usually glued in, but
heating this with a blowtorch will melt the glue and allow it to easily
separate (I just stick them in the wood stove for a minute or two).
Too much time on my hands, for sure......