Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default How to stain red oak to look slightly yellow

"David" wrote in message
scottsignmart wrote:
I have added cabinets to our kitchen using red oak, the exsiting
cabinets
also made from red oak appear to have been finished
"natural" but have a slightly yellow look, and there is not much contrast
of the grain...
very good looking finish. My cabinets however look like oak, lots of
grain,
lots
of contrast and more on the red, orange side... Any suggestions would be
appriciated...

You'll have to use a dye instead of a pigment stain. Either wiped on, or
sprayed on (my preference for maximum grain minimization). I add yellow
and amber dye to fruitwood dye to get than yellowish color you probably
are describing. I shoot the dye with a .026 " tip in my HVLP.

Disagree the dye, prefer pigment for more consistent and predictable
results. The chemicals which color your oak differently will also react
differently to chemical dying. Laying tiny pieces of pigmented stuff on the
surface will increase the amount of yellow returning to your eye,
guaranteed.

Your old cabinets have been bleached by their environment, I would assume,
and are lighter as a consequence.