James P Crombie

Default Router Speed Control - How does this work?

I can't vouch for their use on a drill, but I bought my dad one to use
with larger bits in his 3hp router. Seems to work well with the router.

Jack Erbes wrote:

Someone asked if this router speed control would be okay to use with a
typical non-variable speed 1/2" drill motor (5 Amps or so).:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../speedcon.html

I called to get a little more info and the seller says that it is for
use with "brush type motors of up to 15 Amps" and that it is a
"voltage sensitive device that maintains constant torque".

If I understand it right, this must do more than simply drop the
voltage. I wonder if this is like a VFD in that it can vary speed
without overheating the windings? Anyone want to venture a guess on
how this works?

I'm reluctant to tell someone to do something that might fry their
drill motor. If it works as they say, for $24 and free shipping, I
might get one myself.

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer