Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Flaking and blistering masonry paint.

wrote:
Hi guys. i painted my window sills with sandtex masonry paint on my
window sills. Now it has flaked and just peeled off. Why is this? I
did paint over gloss, but should this have affected it?

Thought i'd go for the good stuff, but looks like i wasted my money.

Doesn't matter how good the stuff is, you still need to have a decent
substrate, and gloss paintwork isn't it.

Presumably the cills are actually masonry ones?

I had a very similar problem myself recently - although I sanded down
the old gloss paint to key the surface, it didn't prevent the new
masonry paint flaking straight off. So I scraped and scrubbed it alll
off and started again; next time I painted over the old gloss with an
external grade, oil-based undercoat paint first. Then painted that with
the masonry paint later - seemed to work fine.

David