Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default High pressure vs. low pressure ball valves.

On 27 Mar 2006 07:35:40 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi,
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Peter.

Low pressure types are intended for toilets etc. that are filled from
the roof tank.

For the mains feed to the roof tank, a high pressure valve should be
used unless the mains pressure is really low.

Since you are changing, it would be a good opportunity to fit an
equilibrium float valve such as a Torbeck.

These are quite inexpensive and as well as operating a lot more
quietly than the traditional Portsmouth type, have a clean shut off.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com