Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Default High pressure vs. low pressure ball valves.

Hi,
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Peter.

High pressure are for mains input - as your header tank will be. Low
pressure are for toilets etc. fed by gravity from header tanks rather than
being directly connected to the mains.

Many modern torbeck-type valves are suitable for either - and are supplied
with 2 or more flow restrictors. You fit the appropriate restrictor
depending on the supply pressure.
--
Cheers,
Roger