Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Removing battery corrosion

wrote in
:

I have a remote for a VCR that was not being used. The batteries
leaked and left corosion on the contacts inside. (Alkaline
batteries). The contacts are not deteriorated, but are corroded.
What is the best way to clean them, and neutralize any chemical
reaction to prevent further damage?

Any tips?

Thanks

Mark

Household vinegar.
(a mild acid to neutralize the alkaline battery electrolyte)

Since the plating has probably been eaten away,the exposed spring metal
will oxidize.Perhaps a light coating of Vaseline will help there.

I find that Duracells leak more than Everready or Fuji cells.
I no longer use Duracells.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik