Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
RoyJ

Default ATV Plow Plans

If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow
blade bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock
with a sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real
cost can be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on
hand, value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go
ahead and build it.

As for the ATV plow, I built a 36" blade for my old garden tractor. Used
a section of steel from a discarded 80 gallon water heater. Lower edge
was a peice of angle iron with three rows of hard surfacing bead for a
wear edge. Made 4 pieces of 1/4" stock in an arc to give the blade some
rigidity. Tractor was small enough that I did not need to make the blade
pivot and spring load it like the bigger units. Depending on your use
and ATV weight, you may need to add this feature. Tractor had a convient
front mount plus an existing mower deck lift arm so all that was
trivial. An ATV will need to have all this added. Would I build another
for my newer tractor? See next paragraph:

Go see your ATV dealer with tape measure in hand. Make notes, take
pictures. And while you are there, ask if they have any used or damaged
plow units. $100 for one with a few dings but includes the mount,
undercarraige, and lift mechanism would be a great deal.

SteveC wrote:

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think I'd
have one bought already??
My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or
really cheap.
And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built
something?