Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

Default Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

I have some 110 volt boxes which hold the Outlets and some are for
Light switches. The problem is when I go to replace the old outlet or
light switch the wires are so short that reconnecting a new outlet or
wire is impossible. The wires literally will not even allow me to get
to the screw without great effort.

So when I go to install the new outlet/light switch some of the wires
either broke.

This section of the house is about 50 years old and it appears these
are the oldest boxes.

Is there a good/safe way to EXTEND those 110 volt wires?
I tried using 12 gauge wires and using a wire nut to extend a piece
but this made it impossible to push all those wires back into the box.

So does anyone have a method to extend those wires?

Thanks,