Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 VERSUS HOBART CYBERTIG CT300

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:30:36 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

I hope that I can find a how-to video on tig so that I can have some idea of
what I may be doing.

Are all tig torches (water-cooled) pretty much alike? I may can get a
Profax unit cheaply.

What would you recommend as far as consumables, etc?

My only experience is with the Weldcraft WP-20, which I have found to
be completely satisfactory. I have no experience with Profax but
the model 20 looks very similar -- nearly identical.

Only consumables I know of are tungstens and filler rod -- and stuff
to practice on. I suppose collets, cups etc are consumables but they
are torch-specific.

I get my tungstens from:

http://store.aglevtech.net/index.html

They also offer CD's and videotapes on TIG (GTAW) welding. I've not
reviewed them.

I think you should quit shopping and start welding!

I agree totally. I do have a W-18 torch on my 300 amp Airco square
wave, simply because I was doing some big aluminum at full output and
the smaller 20 was heating up a smidge..so I stuck on one of the
spares. But Ill put the 20 back on this coming weekend as its far far
handier to handle and does most everything up to about 250 amps

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams