Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

Default changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery

On 2006-03-16, GuitarPsych wrote:
These are reasons just off the top of my head:

1) To go through the process just to learn.

this Is a good reason

2) To standardize all my effects pedals so I only have to carry 1 type
of extra battery, therefore minimizing carrying space and weight and
minimizing the chance I will be out of the one I need.

another good reason.

3) The standardization will also eventually allow me to work on a
project that allows all my pedals to run on a power supply that accepts
multiple pedals. The power supply works with pedals expecting 9V. I am
unclear if it would work with pedals expecting 1.5 V... I have my
doubts, therefore the conversion project.

this could prove more challenging than it seems at fiirst glance
often interconnected DC powered devices can't be powered in parallel
due to them using different signal ground potentials.

4) The 1 AA battery dies quickly.

the 9V typically contains less energy and costs many times as much
it will die faster, possibly much faster.

so that's two for and two agaist.

Bye.
Jasen