Grant Erwin

Default How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders

Look closely at a picture. On top of a toolholder is a vertical threaded
rod. On that rod is a flat round knurled nut held in place with a jam nut.
The toolholder is positioned vertically by the position of the nut.

In practice, if the tool is a mite too low, the main clamping arm
is loosened, and the nut screwed down just a skoach, then the main
clamping arm is tightened again. Once this is set, it stays set. You
can take the toolholder off, set it on the bench, come back next week
and put it back on, and it's right at the height you left it.

Grant

Steve wrote:
How is the degree above centerline adjusted on Aloris type quick
change tool holders? Do you just adjust the toolholder and then the
toolbit is say... 5 degress above centerline but is still
perpendicular to the ways?I am asking because I am getting ready to
buy one after everyones suggestions and on the lantern type you set
the 5 degrees above centerline for mild steel by adjusting the tool
holder in the post with the rocker. This puts the tool at an angle to
the ways. Does it make a difference as long it is the proper amount of
degrees above center line for the material being cut whether it is
perpendicular or at an angle? It seems that perpendicular would be
much more beneficial. Thanks for any help. -Steve