Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy

Default How to make "divot" in 1/4" aluminum plate

Thank you for all the replies. It sounds like a die with draw plate
and a 100 ton punch press would be the way to get "factory type"
results. I also gather that die design is not a trivial matter.

I did notice that the tread pattern on the store-bought hatches is not
the same as the material I normally associate with diamond tread. It
could be that they stamp the tread and divots in one operation as Robin
suggested. I also did not think about the final shape of the hatch
changing shape after divoting (makes sense)

The pound it into an oak form is right up my alley. I will have to give
it a try.

Maybe I can latch this hatch down in some other fashion. As it type
this i am thinking something involving a flathead fastener in a
countersink. Any alternative latching ideas would also be gratefully
accepted.

If all else fails, I could use plywood and epoxy for the hatch.
(sheepishly admitting that I am more comfortable with this medium
anyway)
Thank you all again
Andy