Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
newsman

Default Wiring my Marathon motor

First go to www.marathonelectric.com and download the info, including
wiring diagram, for the motor. You will need a start contactor with
overload protection (OLP). There is no absolute requirement for OLP,
but it's highly desirable and worth the cost. Advance Controls Inc
(www.acicontrols.com) makes a line of of contactors with OLP that work
nicely for an application like this. The OLP module plugs into the
bottom of contactor. You'll have to decide what voltage you want to use
to operate the contactor coil before you buy it. Options are 24 VAC,
120 VAC, and 240 VAC. If you plan on the starting switch being close to
the motor, 240 VAC will be simplest. If you plan on the starting switch
to be some distance away, use 24 VAC (you'll need a door bell
transformer to supply the 24 VAC). 24 VAC wire (door bell wire) is
cheap and doesn't require fishing through walls or conduit. The
pressure switch on the compressor will have to be in series with the
starting switch. You can find ACI contactors with OLP for sale in many
places. I've bought them from FarmTek (www.farmtek.com) in the past. I
don't work for or sell products of the companies listed above.

Mike

trg-s338 wrote:
I have a Marathon catalog number Z506 electric motor, 5HP, 220V single
phase that I adapted on to my 80 gallon air compressor that had an old
2HP 3 phase motor. My house has 220V 50A
single phase circuit available to me. What do I need to wire it to my
house considering safety and reliability issues? Need breakers,
contactors, capacitors? A wiring diagram recommendation would be
extremely useful. I used to rough wire housing tracts but I have not
worked with an electric motor in such an "industrial" type application.
Help!