Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Wiring my Marathon motor

trg-s338 wrote:

I have a Marathon catalog number Z506 electric motor, 5HP, 220V single
phase that I adapted on to my 80 gallon air compressor that had an old
2HP 3 phase motor. My house has 220V 50A
single phase circuit available to me. What do I need to wire it to my
house considering safety and reliability issues? Need breakers,
contactors, capacitors? A wiring diagram recommendation would be
extremely useful. I used to rough wire housing tracts but I have not
worked with an electric motor in such an "industrial" type application.
Help!

First off, you now have to buy a new mag switch and probably a new mag switch
enclosure, to accommodate the larger current. Make sure you pay close attention
to the voltage of the coil in the mag switch, if you get the wrong voltage
you'll have to install a transformer. New controls can cost several hundred
dollars. Then you have to make a bracket for mounting the new controls to the
machine, then you have to wire it all up. The wiring is by far the easy part.

GWE