Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aldrich

Default Choice of system boiler: Worcester Bosch or Glow-worm?

Hi

We need a new system boiler for our house. Our local installer is likely to
recommend a Glow-worm 30sxi but I have heard good things of the Worcester
Bosch Greenstar 28HE system. Would anyone like to comment on these two
choices? Is one clearly better than the other?

I also want to enhance the heating controls. We have a simple, digital, two
settings per day, Potterton programmer for hot water and heating. I want to
move the room thermostat from the hall (which is large and cold) into the
lounge where we spend most of our time. To make installation easy, I propose
to use a wireless thermostat. I can see two options:

1) Replace the existing thermostat by a Honeywell CM61/67 NG RF and set the
heating on the existing programmer to 'Continuous'. This leaves two settings
per day for hot water.

2) If we choose the 28HE, we could discard the existing programmer and fit a
Worcester Bosch DT20RF Programmer / Wireless thermostat in the boiler. This
will give greater flexibility for hot water settings than (1).

Any comments please on these options? I guess (2) is more expensive than
(1), because there will be more wiring changes, but is the extra flexibility
worth it?

Does having the programmer internal to the boiler better suit a modulating
burner (i.e. does the programmer provide more variable control - not just
on/off - in this circumstance) ?

Thanks in advance.

David