Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Removing chimney stack - how much would it cost to get done?

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:55:05 -0000, "ste" wrote:

Hi there,

Sorry for the non-DIY question, but I couldn't think of a better group to
post this to!

How much, roughly, would I expect to pay to get the chimney/chimney
stack/flue removed completely from my house?

I live in a small 3 bedroom semi-detached house which was built in the
1950's. All the rooms are quite small, so I'm trying to figure out whether
this is a 'cheap' way of getting a bit more space in a few of my rooms, or
whether it makes more sense to get an extension instead.

The chimney stack runs through the centre of the house (not on the party
wall) and measures into each room (an upstairs bedroom, and the living room)
by 1.5 foot deep, and about 3 foot wide. This doesn't sound a lot, but as
the rooms are small, it does make a difference and leaves the room with a
'void' either side of the stack (of a similar dimension). This works out
fine for the upstairs bedroom as I've put shelving into one of the 'voids'
and turned it into a concealed wardrobe, but in the living room it's just a
waste of space in an already small room.

Thanks for any advice,

Stephen

I'd remove the whole thing from above roof to below floor level.

Once the stack is down you will need to make good walls, ceilings,
floors & roof. Its got to be a few grands worth or work.

I'd DIY it, and would budget a grand from what you have said.

A buider would require scaffolding and stuff where as Mr DIY could do
the job from a cherry picker. And the builder will budget in moneys
for breaking roof tiles and stuff, and then keep the extra if he
breaks none.

Rick