Robin S.

Default OT?: Universal vs. Induction motor HP ratings

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message

I'm looking for an alternative to spending $450-500 for a Porter Cable
1410P or Dewalt 872 dry cut chop saw. Both run at 1300 rpm, and use 15A
AC/DC. Both have a 1" arbor.

Carefull with those saws. I sell them at work and have heard reports of
blades costing up to about $1/cut.

We've started to sell the 7-1/4" steel-cutting carbide tipped saw blades.
Apparently they cut very well (I've seen samples from customers) and are
cheaper (on a blade/cut/$$$ basis) than abrasive blades.

Once you add the steel cutting capability to a 7-1/4" saw, you can saw
virtually any material you can get your hands on (perhaps no aerospace
super-alloys) by using different blades. May want to go with a worm-drive
for sawing solid stock.

The machine is nothing more than a nice chop saw for metal, and it will
take up much less room in my shop than a traditional 4x6 or 5x7 bandsaw.

How big of a work envelope do you need? Are you willing to use a hacksaw in
some instances?

Neither machine has variable speed, although it sure would be nice to
have.

Why? At the price you're going to pay for a blade, you probably want to run
the saw at its *correct* speed. Too slow and you could have issues with
carbide... I don't think we sell a more expensive 14" saw blade....

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Robin