Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Plywood decking thickness

"Ken" wrote in message
How thick should plywood decking be assuming you are using joists 16" on
center?

In my earlier years, perhaps 20 years ago, I worked for a builder who
typically used 5/8 floor decking and 1/2" on the roof and exterior walls.
Now I'm faced with an architect that insists 3/4" on the floors is a must
and 5/8" on the roof and walls is needed.

Does the floor decking depend on the finish flooring. The builder I

worked
with would always install wide plank 3/4" hardwood flooring. But when I
mentioned that to the architect, he insisted that I should still use 3/4"
decking under it. His concern was regarding the holding capacity of the
nails for the hardwood flooring and that it would avoid squeaky floors
later.

Any comments?

Cant answer, the loading of the floor is unknown (pounds per square foot) ,
and the span is unknown. 3/4 T&G plywood is springy under my 280 pounds of
weight with 16 inch centers.