Simon

Default Failure to get sharp

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:38:28 -0400, RWL

wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:21:59 -0700, "Bill Marrs"
wrote:

I don't see any mention in your process of quenching after drawing the
temper in the toaster oven.

Ummm. I was supposed to quench it in water again after annealing
rather than letting it cool in air like I did?

Tempering is *not* annealing. It doesn't matter whether you quench
or not after tempering. It is a convenient way to stop the colors running
if you're differential tempering, but otherwise you can just let the piece
air cool.

Gary

Ah but he was doing differential tempering before hand, using a torch, and
that needs to be quenched to stop the heat from the back of the blade
travelling to the edge.

as to the Anealing, tempering ... he's been told a few times :-[ he'll
get it soon ;-)