Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

wrote:
I fix office machines for a living.

vaseline when heated can turn to rock

Its a bad idea, clean the contacts of the socket or replace the socket
BEFORE it causes a fire!. sockets are generally cheap

die electric grease is ok but non conductive, the original poster is
probably using the vaseline as a minor conductor.

the dielectric is supposed to be non-conductive. We use a couple of
greases in auto industry. When you have 100 pin connectors, you need to
be able to connect them easily.

You should also be able to get dielectric grease at Radio Shack, though
last time I was there I couldn't find any. I also could not find any
graphite to lube my doors...

had a idiot customer grease 10 machines drive systems with vaseline,.
geez what a mess.

had to clean them all with gasoline

he was greasing VCRs with vasoline too

Was he really? Or maybe he was just a greasy dude!?

He hadnt got the bill for that one yet when I last saw him. on my next
visit he wasnt around, i asked they said he is no longer working here/

he probably got fired

WD40 is another no no its not a lubricant either and turns to crud ater
awhile

yea I used this on my doors. Now they turn too easily and wont stay open

--
Thank you,