Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

Teh Suck wrote:
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Sure it is ok. Worst case, if the temperature is
too high, it might char and the bulb could start
to flicker. But, a lubricant on bulbs is used
mainly to keep bulbs from sticking in the socket.
A high temperature silicone grease, e.g., spark
plug boot grease, is usually suggest as the best.
Costly but all you need is very thin smear.