Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:33:10 GMT, "Teh Suck"
wrote:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

I don't know if vaseline will give problems or not, although I think
it would be easy enough to clean after the problems start.

There was a long thread about this in sci.electronics.repair within
the last 18 months iirc. You can find it with groups.google .

The simple answer is that you can get what you want at an autoparts
store, and it's called electrical grease, or something. If that's not
it, the clerk should know. IIRC it was between 5 and 10 dollars which
is a lot for grease! It's used a lot in parking and tail lights, or
high current switches.

In my case, I was trying to repair an auto heater fan speed switch.
My favorite speed, 2, didn't work. The other three did. My first
repair, where I just cleaned the contact and moved the grease around a
little, worked fine until the final step in reassembly, and then it
was as bad as before, so I wanted to try again and maybe replace the
grease. I took it apart again, spread the old grease around again,
and when I put it back together, it worked fine, and has for a year
now.

Thanks.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.