Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Stair rail - which side?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:56:29 GMT, "mwlogs"
wrote:

I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second
floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is the
standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side, however
for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes
better sense.

Any rules on this?

Rules, as of 1999 BOCA:
If the stairway is otherwise normal, and this is a single-family
dwelling, not subject to special local codes or ADA requirements,
then no, there is no regulation as to which side it should go on.

Opinion:
From a useability standpoint, its better if you can make the
stairway handrail continuous with the bannister at the top,
where there is one, but traffic patterns may militate
against that. The idea is that, when you're starting down
the stairs, you should get to the railing before you get to
the steps. (Which means that, if you can approach the stair
from both sides of the upper landing, you need two railings)

--Goedjn